Monday 5 March 2012

You like Dodo? I like Dodo.

 CHOP, CHOP!

Don't worry, I won't become like this!

Nigerians like their food 'pepper'and starchy. I like my food VERY 'pepper' but not starchy! Stop scratching your head. When I say I like my food very pepper, I'm saying I like my food VERY spicy. It's a Nigerian slang. I am the only one in my family that REALLY loves very, very spicy food!

No wahala! Give me a bowl of this, i'll eat them :)
There are a lot of ethnic group that comprise the West African nation of Nigeria. Thus, there are a lot of variety of traditional Nigerian cuisines. More on Nigerian cuisines, click here. If you are a vegetarian and happen to live here, sorry-o, a bit wahala (problem) for you then. Nigerians LOVE their meat and they use meat in most of their dishes. Have I tried any of the local food? Heck yes I have and hell, not all I would call FOOD! I like suya, I like dodo (plaintain), I like fish/chicken stew, I like moi moi, I like..I like..I like! I'm a foodie and I like food period! Which is why I gained 5kgs so far. I look like a fat bull that got lost in Lagos! Nice, huh?!?!

Do I not look hideous! Stop laughing!
Which is also why my husband is no longer holding my hands in public and my kids go, "Eeeeeew!" on me. At least, you, my readers, will learn all about Nigerian food from me somewhat, somehow.

From left to right: Chicken stew & jollof rice, Efo riro soup and Ogbono Okro soup.
Bottom: Gari
Efo riro soup
Efo riro soup is a Yoruba speciality dish made with assorted parts of meat, dried fish, crab claws and fried snails with green vegetables such as Soko or Tete.

Ogbono with okra soup
Ogbono soup is made with ground Ogbono seeds. Besides the seeds, water, and oil, it also contains bitterleaf, celosia, tomatoes and okra. In it, also include chillies, onions and iru (fermented beans). Typical meats include beef, goat, fish, chicken, bush meat, shrimp or crayfish. It can be eaten with pounded yam, or with rice. I tasted this and the Efo soup one time and never again! I look at this dish and this is what I envisioned...

but I love this..chicken pepper soup. Made this last week!
Gari, at least this is not too bad..
Gari is made from cassava tuber. Quite a tedious process to make this. Just don't ask me to make it for you! As David, a local packer at Spar, would say, "Madam, the more you eat Nigerian food, the stronger you will get!". He said it in so many words. Whatever that means. Don't mind me, I'm off to 'chop' now. Another 5kgs in the making...woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment