Thursday 26 April 2012

Will You Be My Friend?

When you or your husband get posted to another country to work, you are what they called, "an expat". Everything will seem so foreign. Just like a little fluffy chick trying to find its mother, you feel lost. People that you see in that foreign country you may call them a snob just because they are not talking to you. You are introduced to a new culture. You are introduced to a new cuisine though some food you may not call it FOOD! You miss your friends.

Hello, people! Living an expat life does not mean one's living a life on a bed of roses. Totally has its ups and downs.

One thing I know for sure though, as an expat, Ang Moh or Oyibo in this case of mine, mean that I get to meet some new friends. Sometimes, these new friends will and can become your friend(s) for life! I still keep in touch with some families that we got to know in Saudi Arabia. I still keep in touch with friends that I got to know in Texas. I STILL keep in touch with my friends in Singapore too.

My sweet friends, Dana and Sun. Party animals! LOL!

We painted the town red for my birthday :)

My wahala sisters in Lagos

Even our children also get to meet new friends. Being in a foreign country is not bad afterall and you still get to keep your other friendships close to your heart. People come and go when you live an expat life but that's just how it is. As long as you know how to keep in touch, you'll be just fine.

2 comments: