Wednesday 25 April 2012

Today Is An Important Day

Today is Administrative Professional Day which is also known as Secretaries Day or Admin Day. This is the day when secretaries, administrative assistants, receptionists, and other administrative support professionals are being recognized for their hard work. Being recognized for being a superworker (if there's such a word!). I'm one fine example folks. I was a superworker or at least I thought I was. Yes, I remember those days when I was one.

I can do it all! If only my ex-boss appreciated that!
Today is also Anzac Day. In Australia and New Zealand, Anzac Day is a national day of remembrance observed by both countries on 25 April every year to honour the members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who fought at Gallipoli in the Ottoman Empire during World War I.


More importantly, today is World Malaria Day. Now that we are in Nigeria (West Africa), it is important that I talk about it for a bit. World Malaria Day is commemorated every year on April 25th since it was established in May 1987 by the 60th session of the World Health Assembly, the decision-making body of the World Health Organization. This day was established to provide people with education and understanding of this disease that have taken the lives of many in Africa. In 2009 itself, 781 000 people died from malaria, mainly women and children. If you want to know how malaria is spread, click here.

According to the World Health Organization, approximately half the world’s population is at risk from malaria. And while malaria can be prevented and treated, it still claims the life of a child every minute, with more than 90% of all malaria deaths occurring in Africa.

I was told by my nanny that here in Nigeria, some local government clinics provide free medical check-ups for the people. Free malaria medicines will then be given to mainly children.

This has been my "best friend" eversince we came to Nigeria
Every year, there's a theme. This year's theme is,"Sustain Gains, Save Lives: Invest in Malaria". Within the last decade, malaria cases have reduced significantly by 50%. Though you may think that it is not a big number, it is a great start. Preventing and treating malaria is a long-term commitment. As my husband would say, "One day at a time, one thing at a time.".

No comments:

Post a Comment